Sunday, July 15, 2012

Envy by Gregg Olsen

EnvyEnvy by Gregg Olsen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Okay so I was asked to read and review an ARC for the sequel to this book, I blindly said yes. I'd never heard of the author or the books. So I was hoping that I would enjoy this book first so I could enjoy the sequel as well. And low and behold, I was HOOKED!! First off, the author is a male and normally I don't read books written by males. Not that I'm bias against them or anything, but I just haven't come across any I really liked besides "I am Number Four", which I am hoping is indeed a male author or I will feel like an ass. But Pittacus? Sounds manly. Anyway, so I was AMAZED that how much I enjoyed this book. I didn't get to read it as fast as I'd have liked because it's a very fast-paced book. However, I've got like 4 ARCs I am currently reading, plus finishing my own for those that are getting antsy.

The premise or this series, is so fresh and interesting and albeit a little eerie, but it's based on facts and stories that have indeed happened. At the end of the book, the author talks about the events that took place and its similar to the book he wrote. Needless to say, I was astounded by this refreshing and emotional story.

Katelyn Berkley, a lonely, misunderstood teenage girl dies suddenly, tragically...in her bathtub. No one knows exactly what happened but the small town of Port Gamble, Washington is intensely affected by the sad news. There are rumors swirling around the school that maybe it was suicide, accidental, or maybe something more....

When the twins Taylor and Haley Ryan try to uncover the events that led to her demise, they discover some devastating secrets that could have possibly saved her if someone would have listened. Taylor and Haley, -sisters that are very different from most teenage girls- knew Katie when they were little and at one point were very close. But as they got older, Katie became reclusive more to herself. She wasn't popular but everyone knew her and for the part, liked her. She always wanted to be a cheerleader but each year when she didn't make the team, she became bitter and jealous of her best friend Starla Larsen-who by the way was a selfish bitch like her mother-and she was really popular and was too wrapped up in being the perfect cheerleader than being Katie's friend. Soon their friendship had demolished and Katie was all alone.

With an alcoholic, guilt-ridden mother she had no one to really turn to except some boy she converses with online. He wants to meet her and take her away from her troubled life. But can she really trust him?

I am stopping there so I don't give anything away. WOW, I was blown away by this book. There were things that happened that I wasn't prepared for. But this author had me on my toes going, "What the bleep?" He wrote a very detailed book that made me feel like I was there. I cried some and laughed some and yelled some. I felt so many emotions at once I wasn't sure what to feel next. I would guess a few times and was taken aback by how wrong I had been. It had a very eerie feel to it but not to the point where I couldn't read it at night. I loved the characters. Taylor and Haley were my favorite....and Colton, who was Haley's boyfriend was such a cutie!!! I loved him. I loved the twin's parents too. They were amazing characters. There were a few times I was confuzzled(confused and puzzled thrown together) when they were having conversations via text. Some of the slang words that were used didn't make sense or maybe I didn't see them right. So I usually skipped over that unless it was valid information that needed to be read. But other than that, I loved this book. I disliked a few of the characters: Beth Lee, Starla Larsen, Mindee Larsen and Moira (forgot her last name). But I highly recommend this book to those that love a little mystery mixed with some horror(not really horror, but there was some ghostly encounters of sorts). This book will keep you hooked, and be surprised by the twists by the end of the book too!

Now I must get ready to read my ARC of Betrayal soon so I can find out more about this story.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs All Images from the Welcome Kit by Glenda Ketcham