Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
*ADULT AND SEXUAL CONTENT*
OMG, where do I start? I don't even know what to say about this book. One thing's for sure, I didn't expect to be fully and ridiculously OBSESSED with this book. But I am. I had purchsed it months ago. And I had come across it many times while reading other books on my nook, and it allured me....but sadly I overlooked it. Why? Why God, why did I wait so long? Oh why did it take me over 3 months to finally read this when my friends were hounding me EVERYDAY to read it??? Well, for one reason was that I wasn't really reading adult books. I didn't hate them but YA was always my thing. I loved YA of all kinds. BUT, after I read Tempting the Best Man, I was SO READY for another astounding series that would floor me beyond recognition. And it did. OH GOD, DID IT. I would text or message my ladies daily about this book. I would complain or just plain COMBUST FROM CHRISTIAN GREY's persona. HOLYH SHIT. I thought they'd get sick of me, but we are all in the same boat...the FIFTY TRAIN and damn if that wasn't a mother fucking ride of my life!!!!!!! Jesus Christ, I was enthralled, intrigued, arounsed, frustrated, happy, sad....and everything else I could possibly think of. WOW!!! This. Book. Fucking. Rocked.!!!
Okay, I've got to say a few things before I get to the nitty gritty. This book, even though there may be similarities to Twilight, is SO MUCH DIFFERENT.....I was appalled by how much people hate this book because they say it's a cheap imitation of Twilight. Seriously? Let me say a few things......
First of all, Twilight..okay so it's about a guy, who is a vampire who meets a girl in high school and falls in love instantly. Fine whatever, it's the typical cliche yadda yadda yadda....I'm not knocking Twilight because alot of my friends love the series. I personally like the movies more, couldn't finish the series for some reason. Secondly, THEY DON'T HAVE SEX...in the first book, or the second or third. So HOW THE FUCK IS THIS THE SAME AS FIFTY SHADES????????
Okay Fifty Shades.....a girl who is in college meets a billionaire who she by chance falls in love with, he warns her to stay away..okay then he can't stay away from her. Sure that happened in Twilight too and both girls are inexperienced and naive, I'll give them that. But seriously, IT'S NOT THE SAME PEOPLE!!!!! In Fifty Shades they have hardcore monkey rabbit sex every chapter practically AND they are HUMAN. So what? Who gives a fuck if E.L James took a fanfiction and turned it around and changed some things and then made it her own. I personally love it more than Twilight. But that's just me. And I say KUDOS TO YOU E.L JAMES.....you're a fucking genius!!!!
Now to get on with it...I'm not going to write the synopsis as we all or most anyway know roughly what this book is about. Instead I am going to talk about my favorite and least favorite things about Fifty..
1. The characters. I. Loved. The. Characters. I mean, Ana was so amazing. She was a strong, levelheaded..albeit a little naive and insecure at times. But hey, who isn't? And anyway, her whole life was turned upside down by the RR ordeal. HOLY. FUCK. She wasn't the only one taken aback by the revelation, one of many that had me in turmoil and despair. But seriously, I loved her anyway. She was definitely a better heroine than Bella.
Christian. OH SWEET LORD CHRISTIAN. Where do I start with you? I loved him. LOVED HIM. OH MY GOD. He is definitely FIFTY shades of fucked up...but he can be my shades of fucked up anyday. My new quote that I'll always refer to is, "I'm Fifty shades of fuck me, Christian." GOD. DAMN. I want him. There were many and I mean MANY moments of changing my panties. Fucking shit, I was on the verge of just staying in the tub with the water running the whole time while reading this. But then I thought probably not a good idea to mix water with my nook...knowing me I'd fuck it up, then I'd just drown myself. So yea, I love Fifty. Love him so much! Even though he was bossy, domineering, stalkerish, jealous, shady, forceful, psycho, abnormal, unstable, mental, and everything else you long to steer clear of....in spite of all of those things, I LOVED HIM! I mean who wouldn't? Well, besides sane, stable women..who the fuck wants to be sane? Or normal? Fuck all that...it's boring and dull. Hell, with Fifty you would never know what to expect and it would be a thrilling ride. OH YEA, a thrilling RIDE....*wink wink* I sure got my fun ride with him...fuck me! But seriously, despite all that I listed that was wrong with him, I know there is a better version of Christian. He did have a FUCKED UP life so it stems from that and that's partly why is he screwed up. This is a journey that I look forward to because I know by the end of this series, we'll understand him better. I mean we already catch glimpses of his better self at times. Ana I think is good for him. She will change him in ways he never thought possible. And I can't wait for that. They are both struggling internally and I think they will both benefit one another in the long run.
Elliot and Kate. I loved these guys. They are both awesome characters. Kate is such a bad ass chick. She's tough, sweet, but has a don't-take-shit-from-anyone attitude. I love that about her. She tells Fifty off at one point and I think he needs that at times. He forgets how different he is from Ana and how he needs to tone down his shit. So Kate compliments her in that respect. But she too has never fallen in love with anyone until Elliot comes along. Overall, Kate and Elliot rock..look forward to more of their story.
All other characters are amazing as well. The dynamic and development is superb!
2. Plot. Okay, like I said before this was an amazing story. I loved the whole college girl-interviews-rich, hot billionaire-falls in love-and finds out some fucked up secrets about him type of thing. Now, the whole RRoP thing was effed up. I mean, holy shit. The things he taught her, or did to her...God almighty. Some of it was HOT but some of it was HOLY FUCK how does she stand there and take it? Wow, I was amazed, appalled, turned on all at the same time. I didn't know which one to feel because as soon as one emotion wore off, the next one began. Damn, this was a whirlwind of fucked up-ness. I loved it.though.
3. Writing. I loved the writing. Although I gotta say, it felt like we were British or something...they don't use "fetch" here in America. But after I was informed that James is British, it made sense. I had to look up a bunch of words too, to understand what was said. But overall, I enjoyed the writing style. I love the cursing, and the constant nagging of her subconscious and "inner goddess"....that was badass. Yea, my inner goddess is Scarlett..she LOVED FIFTY. Oh man was she obssessed!!!! LOL
4. Dialogue between Ana and Christian. Here is my favorite part. I LOVED the witty and flirty banter beween these two. They were so flirty and cute and sweet. I smiled and laughed and was in complete awe throughout most of this book. Their constant flirting and sexy talk was just too much. Oh and the emails. Oh God, they put the awesomeness into their writing. Aside from when he was being such a nagger and dominating tyrant...he was sweet, caring, loyal and irresistable and his words proved that he had some emotion in his body. God I love him. Everyone should have a Fifty...too bad he doesn't exist. *pouty face*
Bottom line is...obviously this book is NOT FOR EVERYONE. But those that love a good, albeit sexually arousing erotic romance...this is for you! THANKS TO ALL MY LOVELY FRIENDS WHO FINALLY CONVINCED ME TO READ THIS BOOK. I can NOT wait for the next two!!!!!!
P.S. IAN SOMERHOLDER FOR FIFTY for the movie!!!!! HE IS SO FIFTY!
“- "Why don't you like to be touched?"
- "Because I'm fifty shades of fucked-up, Anastasia”
“His head turns fractionally toward me, his eyes darkest slate. I bite my lip.
“Oh, fuck the paperwork,” he growls. He lunges at me, pushing me against the wall of the elevator. Before I know it, he’s got both of my hands in one of his in a vice-like grip above my head, and he’s pinning me to the wall using his hips. Holy shit. His other hand grabs my ponytail and yanks down, bringing my face up, and his lips are on mine. It’s only just not painful. I moan into his mouth, giving his tongue an opening. He takes full advantage, his tongue expertly exploring my mouth. I have never been kissed like this.”
“Oh, fuck the paperwork”
“Does this mean you’re going to make love to me tonight, Christian?” Holy shit. Did I just say that? His mouth drops open slightly, but he recovers quickly. “No, Anastasia it doesn’t. Firstly, I don’t make love. I fuck… hard. Secondly, there’s a lot more paperwork to do, and thirdly, you don’t yet know what you’re in for. You could still run for the hills. Come, I want to show you my playroom.”
View all my reviews