Thursday, March 22, 2012

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful DisasterBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



WARNING:
*SPOILERS*
If you have not read this book, do not read further. Or if you are just wanting to know what its about, don't blame me for giving anything away.

*EXPLICIT LANGUAGE*
If you do not like cursing or foul language, do not read this review. I express myself alot in my reviews and sometimes it involves cursing so I do not need any comments about my sailor mouth. If you ignore these warnings and have a problem with my review, I don't know what to tell you. This is my review so I deserve respect, so please refrain from bitching or complaining. Thank you. Now lets get on with the review shall we?


I'm a little mad at myself because I had written a really awesome long review yesterday but my computer froze and it got deleted. So I am re writing this from memory. I just hope I cover everything.
First of all, I have to say: WELL DONE JAMIE. WELL DONE. This book was nothing short of fantastic. I am kicking my ass for not reading it sooner. The thing is, at first I never planned on reading it. The initial cover turned me off. It looked freaky. But NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER. That saying couldn't be more true. SHIT, this was a great book. I finally bought it on my nook after getting hounded by my wonderful GR ladies, raving about how wonderful it was and how hot and sexy and amazing Travis was. HOLY SHIT. He. Is. Awesome.!! Well, then I started reading more reviews and stumbled upon a review that pissed me off. Okay, so if you're not an author, don't talk. Seriously, I am sick of hearing how much of a troll Jamie is. I saw her post on FB and it really bothered me, so I searched for the reviewer she was talking about. WOW, a bunch of fucking immature brats hating on a woman who wrote a book that she felt was good and touched her heart. Let me tell you this, I am a writer. It is not easy. I'm writing 2 books and being a writer is not a piece of cake. There is alot of sweat, blood and tears that go into a book. Authors pour their heart and soul into each book they write, so unless you are one and are really famous and make lots of money and you're on the Best Sellers list, just keep your nasty comments to yourself. That's called immaturity. Or better yet, just keep your comments to yourself even then. Grow the fuck up!! Okay, I'm done ranting. Sorry, it just bothers me when people attack an author for the sake of feeling better about themselves.

Now, I bought this book right after I read all that crap. I don't understand why people didn't like this book. OKAY, I get it. Not many people are in favor of vulgarity, sex or bad language. Well, face it people its life. Life is full of it. Get over it. Jamie wrote a book based on things that happen in real life. This isn't a fairy tale that's for sure. But it was so well developed and so heartbreaking and disasterous and so powerful, it was BEAUTIFUL!!!I loved every minute of it. I was swept away from beginning to end. I really felt this book took me back to my own life experiences. I went through a similar situation as Abby. I was married to a guy who was very temperamental. He was mentally and emotionally abusive to the point where I thought of ending my life. Yea, thats extreme but he was fucked up in the head and took me down with him. To this day I am still struggling with my past. The emotional and mental scars are still there. But I finally divorced his ass and took our kids with me. So why do I like this book so much if he reminds me of my ex you wonder? Well, first off Travis was never as bad. While reading this book, eventhough memories rushed back to me..it vanished with him being the hero. He may have gotten mad and yelled and threw stuff. But he never belitteled her or hit her. He loved her and I could see that he would do anything for her. He couldn't live without her. They were perfect for each other. I can't say enough how much I loved this book. There are no words that will justify my love for it or for Travis. The sex. I get that not everyone likes the amount of sex that was in it. But I loved it. It was perfect the way it. And believe me, I felt every bit of passion and romance and sexiness that was described. The detail was....it was great. Sure its not really for a pre teen to read. But for young adults/adults, it's PERFECT! I loved the bets that were made in this. It gave the story a little fun spice to it. It was cute.

I loved the storyline. The whole fight aspect of it was awesome! I'm a big wrestling and MMA fan. I used to watch them every week. While the fights were going on, I felt like I was ringside every time. I was nervous and scared for him but when victory came, I was as ecstatic and proud as Abby was. He was a great fighter and eventhough he got beat up a little here and there, I was such a happy fool. Also, when it started out that he was a player and every girl wanted him....it amazed me to see the changes in him. I truly believe people can change, but that's if they want to. He was an ass at times and I wanted to wring his neck but then I wanted to hug and kiss him forever!! The fact that Abby changed him was so beautiful. He meets her, they become friends. Then best friends. Then he wants more than that. All the while he stops sleeping around with every girl he sees and ignores all the girls at school that try to talk to him. That was incredible. Geez, that guy made my stomach do flips inside and out. I love him. The fact that he is some bad ass, motorcylce riding, tatoo addict, fighting hot son of a bitch is appealing to me. But it's funny because my ex had the same description. Well, he didn't fight but he is the one that got me addicted to wrestling and shit. His parents were in a biker club and they all have tatoos. Bottome line, the story line was fantastic.

The characters. I loved the development of the characters. It was one book where I loved most of the characters and they were all my friends. My favorite, besides Travis was America. OMG, I was so on her side most of the time. The way she stood up for Travis to Abby when it seemed like she was playing games with him, I was cheering America on. I was pissed at Abby at the beginning. I hated Parker and everytime they went on a date, I felt like screaming at her. Then when she asked Travis how she looked, it was like a slap in the face. But throughout the book, I really loved her. She was a great lead character. I felt her pain and could relate to her in so many ways. She was strong and brave and really stood up for herself. She did put up with alot of shit from Travis but also I could see she loved him as much as he loved her. Their relationship was such a rollercoaster, I didn't know which way it would turn. I got a headache at times because just when I thought they had it all figured out.......BAM! Another disaster. It left me in tears. But it was a journey I was still happy to venture on. It was worth all the tears. I cried...I laughed....I hurt....I screamed....I smiled....I cursed.I I I I I...I loved. This is one of my favorite contemporary stories. I loved America and Shep's relationship too. They were loyal and great friends to Travis and Abby. I saw the strong friendship and loved they all had for each other. Shep was awesome. He was witty, sarcastic, loving, funny and just a great character. His love for America was so endearing and sweet. They were the perfect best friends. And how could you forget the cool funny gay guy? Finch was amazing. I wish we had more scenes with him but what we got, I loved. He helped Abby through some tough times while she and Travis were apart. I loved the whole Valentine's party date scene. He was so fun. I loved Travis' family. His dad was so awesome! He made me bawl like a baby in the kitchen scene at Thanksgiving. It broke my heart to pieces. It pissed me off when Abby decided not to tell Travis she changed her mind and wanted him back. But I guess there was a reason for that to happen. We didn't get to know his brothers that well, but they seemed like a bunch of fun loving funny guys. The whole poker scene was hilarious. Go Abby. Trent. I loved him. It was so sweet that he came to Travis' last fight as support for his brother and to watch out for Abby. When we thought he died in the fire, I cried my eyes out. It was so emotional. THAT WHOLE SCENE, I was gripping my bed trying to read my nook as my the words were so blurry from an ocean of tears. When we found he was safe and alive, I cried so much of relief. The only characters I didn't like were Benny, Parker and Abby's dad. They were all a bunch of assholes I wished bad things on. Every scene with Parker I cringed with fury. I was glad when she left him at the restaraunt. About time, get rid of his ass!!! Basically, I loved the character dynamic. Jamie did a great job of describing each of them and their roles were amazing and fit the book perfectly. The characters were memorable and I will never forget them. Abby and Travis will always have a place in my heart. I love them as if they were my real friends!

The ending. Oh gosh. This book had me in tears the whole way through. It was emotional for so many reasons. But I loved the end. It was awesome! I can't say enough good things about this ending. It was just perfect in every way. The eloping in Vegas, the tatoo Abby got, the love they shared and how much they are meant for each other. Ugh, this book leaves me speechless. I want to read it again. Remembering everything I loved about this book makes me teary again, it really touched my heart. I recommend people reading it and not letting the reviews deter them from giving this amazing book a chance!! You will be surprised at what you may feel once you pick up this book! I am so excited cause I bought the paperback copy with Jamie's autograph! Can't wait to get it! Here are some of my favorite quotes!


“To douchebags!" he said, gesturing to Brad. "And to girls that break your heart," he bowed his head to me. His eyes lost focus. "And to the absolute fucking horror of losing your best friend because you were stupid enough to fall in love with her.”


“I knew the second I met you
that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it
wasn’t something about you at all. It was just you.”


“I know we're fucked up, alright? I'm impulsive, and hot tempered, and you get under my skin like no one else. You act like you hate me one minute, and then need me the next. I never get anything right, and I don't deserve you...but I fucking love you, Abby. I love you more than I loved anyone or anything ever. When you're around, I don't need booze, or money, or the fighting, or the one-night stands...”


“You can’t tell me
what to do anymore, Travis! I don’t belong to you!”
In the second it took him to turn and face me, his
expression had contorted into anger. He stomped toward
me, planting his hands on the bed and leaning into my face.
“WELL I BELONG TO YOU!” The veins in his neck
bulged as he shouted, and I met his glare, refusing to even
flinch. He looked at my lips, panting. “I belong to you.”


“. “I need to hear you say it. I need to know you’re mine.”
“I’ve been yours since the second we met.”


“I don't get scared very often," he said finally. "I was scared the first morning I woke up and you weren't here. I was scared when you left me after Vegas. I was scared when I thought I was going to have to tell my dad that Trent had dies in that building. But when I saw you across the flames in the basement...I was terrified. I made it to the door, was a few feet from the exit, and I couldn't leave.
"What do you mean? Are you crazy?" I said, my head jerking up to look into his eyes.
"I've never been so clear about anything in my life. I turned around, made my way to that room you were in, and there you were. Nothing else mattered. I didn't even know id we would make it out or not, I just wanted to be where you were, whatever that meant. The only thing I'm afraid of is a life without you, Pigeon."
I leaned up, kissing his lips tenderly. When our mouths parted, I smiled. "Then you have nothing to be afraid of. We're forever.”


“He continued to stare out the window. "I meant what I said before. You need to walk away, Pidge. God knows I can't walk away from you.”


“I don't know what I'm going to do with you, Trav! I've dumped someone for you-twice-I've picked up and went to Vegas with you-twice-I've literally gone through hell and back, married you and branded myself with your name. I'm running out of ideas to prove to you that I'm yours."
A small smile graced his lips. "I love it when you say that."
"That I'm yours?" I asked. I leaned up on the balls of my feet, pressing my lips against his. "I. Am. Yours. Mrs. Travis Maddox. Forever and always.”


“Vegas?" I asked. His brow furrowed, unsure of where I was headed.
"Yeah?"
"Have you thought about going back?" His eyebrows shot up.
"I don't think that's a good idea for me."
"What if we just went for a night?" He looked around the dark room, confused.
"A night?"
"Marry me," I said without hesitation. I was surprised at how quickly and easily the words came. His mouth spread into a broad smile.
"When?" I shrugged.
"We can book a flight tomorrow. It's spring break. I dont't have anything going on tomorrow, do you?"
"I'm callin' your bluff," he said, watching my reaction closely as he was connected. "I need two tickets to vegas, please. Tomorrow. Hmmmm...," he looked at me, waiting for me to change my mind. "Two days, round trip. Whatever you have.”


View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs All Images from the Welcome Kit by Glenda Ketcham